Velvet Revolver comes out with a new album on July 3, 2007 titled “Libertad”. It is their sophomore album as a group and it’s just that, a sophomore album. I had really high expectations and was hoping for a flashback to the good old days of Guns N’ Roses…but I was sorely disappointed. I think some of the songs have some serious potential, but none of them really got to me. First of all, they have a lead singer, Scott Weiland, who sounds like a little boy on most of the tracks…so they get what they asked for. If they had a lead singer like Chris Daughtry these tracks would be 100 times better. I can’t stand to listen to Scott and his same whiney sound on every track. Also, quit writing songs about machines…they’re not that cool dude! I can’t rock out to some guy whining about machines. What ever happened to some good ol’ sex, drugs and rock and roll?
Anyways, their sound has changed some and I think they were trying to appeal to the younger crowd with this one. The problem is, no young kid is going to listen to guys old enough to be their dads trying to reach out to them. I wish they would just write songs to appeal to their target audience…us. Get rid of that weak drum set you tuned up to sound like you are in a bubble gum punk band, get a lead singer who has some balls, crank up your guitars, and rock out like you used to!
Here’s my review of each song:
1. “Let it Roll” – Main riff is pretty good. Songs moves well, gets me pumped a little if I ignore Scott.
2. “She Mine” – Intro is intriguing, but once the lyrics start it goes down hill from there.
3. “Get Out The Door” – Riffs are too predictable. Kind of a good dance song though. I can almost see hot girls bouncing to this at a show if I close my eyes.
4. “She Builds Quick Machines” – The music has serious potential. The lyrics are terrible! This could have been a MUCH better song with a better lead singer who writes about something cool.
5. “Last Fight” – For the first time on the album Scott sounds like he’s a man, and not a whiney little kid. The song itself could have been a GREAT song, but it isn’t quite there for me. It’s kind of got epic potential with the right lyrics.
6. “Pills Demons & etc.” – The song sucks until it gets to the first part of the chorus. This is a classic try to appeal to the younger crowd. The drums suck! The oooh ooh oooh’s start to grow on me as the song goes on. Slash’s solo is really bad on this track though.
7. “American Man” – Scott sounds like a gypsy in this song….not like an american. And…what’s up with the mexican, old west feel to it? Could also be the theme song to a super hero cartoon.Worst song on the album!
8. “Mary Mary” – If you close your eyes, Scott sounds like he could be The Bangles, or some other 80′s pop star like Tiffany. LOL
9. “Just Sixteen” – I really like the riff in this song. With better lyrics and a bad ass voice this song has serious potential. One of the best on the album.
10. “Can’t Get it Out of My Head” – This song makes me want to throw up! Scott has the worst voice on the planet. He sounds like a little boy! This song has a classic 50′s love song feel and he managed to ruin it.
11. “For a Brother” – Wait, have I heard this song before? Oh yeah, it sounds just like all the other songs on this album. Total filler track on a crappy album.
12. “Spay” – Oh, I can’t stand this song! When the REALLY whiney chorus starts, I want to turn it off. I haven’t listened to this song much past that part to be honest. Annoying song!
13. “Gravedancer” – I actually like this song. It’s chill, easy to listen to and has a good feel. It’s kind of got that Loving the Alien feel to it too. Ha Ha.
Hidden Track – The hidden track is the best song on the album! At first I was like, what is this? When did Slash go country? But I actually really like it. It’s the most catchy of all their songs…pathetic.
Overall, this album sucks. I will only support it out of respect to the greatest guitarist of all time and the coolest bass player on the planet, who thinks he’s the main man we all go to see. I wish they would get rid of that skinny druggy behind the mic who ruins all of God’s gifted musical talent behind him. They’d sell a lot more records without him.
I’d love to hear your responses.